WHERE: The Shed, Lions Youth Haven, Kambah.
WHEN: 27-28 April 2019 – 9:00am to 4:00pm
COST: $100 contact Robin by email
The aim of this workshop is to provide participants with a basic knowledge of producing marquetry ‘pictures’ using a scalpel to cut veneers. The ‘window’ method entails removing a piece of veneer in the required shape and cutting a contrasting piece to fit the shape.
The following aspects will be covered during the two days:
- A discussion/explanation of the window method, cutting techniques and sharpening blades. Participants should aim to complete at least one project during the workshop.
- Veneer application techniques including cutting straight edges, book matching veneers (2 and 4 leaf), flattening curled veneers and gluing veneers to a backing board.
- Discussion of designs that can be useful for marquetry projects.
- Use of patterns including parquetry and Louis cubes. Examine different styles of borders and frames.
- Preparing a completed piece for finishing, use of scrapers, sanding and application of finish.
The workshop will cater for a maximum of 10 participants and the cost is $100.00. Each participant will be provided with five sheets of veneer (200 x 300 mm), and a set of backing boards. Funds from the workshop will assist the Guild in completing the Shed refurbishment.
Payment should be made to the Guild bank account (BSB: 062-908, Account #: 00911217). Please notify the Treasurer (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Robin when you have paid. Participation will be in order of payment. You will then be sent a list of equipment that will be required for the workshop.