Create a flat parallel faced workpiece.
Explain what the thicknesser is used for and its limitations in dressing a board.
What is flat/parallel?
Flat surface, size considerations, when a sled might be needed and what not to put through a thicknesser (e.g. end grain breadboards).
Removal of loose and unwanted finish/glue.
Machine setup and operation
Demonstrate how to set up the thicknesser and thickness a board to a set thickness. Explain
- set up adjustment options and accuracy issues
- what safety considerations you are making as you go (e.g. stance, kickback issues, push stick use, workpiece size, hand placement)
- what is best practice (including when cleaning/ adjusting components/fixing problems, getting help)
- dos and don’ts (e.g. leave machine running/ grain issues/snipe)
- identify the relevant PPE and clothing/adornment (including hair)
- your responsibilities to other machine users, machine care, tidy up
- reporting of maintenance issues to the SIG leader/Shed Boss.